OK… so… sometimes I totally forget to take “step by step pictures” when doing my blog recipes, especially if the lighting is poor. I made this for dinner the other day, and I improvised on some ingredients as I was feeling lazy and really didn’t feel like going to the supermarket. That is why I have called it “lazy jerk chicken”. I didn’t have scotch bonnet peppers and used chilli flakes instead (it is a great option if you don’t like too much spice, otherwise I would suggest to add in the scotch bonnet, the quantity is listed below). The sweet, smoky and jerk-spiced aroma filled the kitchen and I enjoyed every mouthful, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Jerk Chicken Recipe
Serves 2-3 people
- 6 Chicken thighs (with the skin and bone)
- 2 lemon wedges
- Flaked Sea Salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or use 2 scotch bonnets, remove the stalks)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- ½ lime, juiced
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1.5 tsp Schwartz Jamaican Jerk spice
- Remove the chicken from the packaging, make slash lines, rub lemon wedges onto the skin and add salt and pepper.
- Add all the marinade ingredients into a blender, transfer it to a big bowl and add the chicken. Mix until chicken thighs are coated.Marinade for 3 hours (minimum) or overnight.
- Once marinaded, preheat the grill to 180 degrees Celsius, scatter the chicken on greaseproof paper on a tray (skin side up). If there is any remaining marinade, add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and pour half of it on the top of the chicken. After 10-15 minutes of it being in the oven, turn over, repeat this three times (the final time the skin should be facing upwards, add the remaining marinade. It is ready once the juices run clear and the skin is charred, sticky and crispy)
- Serve with traditional rice and peas (see my past blog recipe).
Remember, if you make this recipe, please tag #basibeauty as I love seeing your creations.
Hope you have an amazing week.